Metalloinvest and the Government of the Belgorod Region signed an agreement at the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum on attracting investments in green metallurgy projects for sustainable social and economic development of the region. The document was signed by the General Director of Metalloinvest Nazim Efendiev and Acting Governor of the Belgorod Region Vyacheslav Gladkov.
As part of the agreement, Metalloinvest in the period from 2021 to 2026. invests more than 160 billion rubles in the development of Lebedinsky GOK and Oskol electrometallurgical plant named after A.A. Ugarov.
“We are planning a record amount of investments in the development of green metallurgy technologies,” said Nazim Efendiev. - Lebedinsky GOK and OEMK will modernize and create new production facilities that will meet the needs of the Russian and world markets for high-quality products that help reduce the carbon footprint.
All investment projects will be implemented using the best available technologies with minimal impact on the environment. More than 1,000 skilled jobs will be created ”.
“Signing this agreement is important not only in terms of volumes, investments, jobs and taxes. This is a completely different approach to the manufactured products, - Vyacheslav Gladkov commented. - In the modern world it is called “green metallurgy”. That is, the implementation of those projects that are as careful as possible to the ecology of the region and form the so-called "green footprint". And it is very important for me that the companies that operate in the Belgorod Region and enter international markets understand these global trends and form a “green footprint” in the industry. Metallurgical production is very environmentally challenging and the requirements are very high. And the agreements that we signed today show that this is one of the most modern technologies in the world of metallurgy. ”
The agreement provides for the implementation of six investment projects at Metalloinvest's enterprises in the Belgorod Region:
- Construction of the technological section of the LGOK enrichment plant to increase the production of high-quality iron ore concentrate.
- Construction of a flotation building at LGOK for concentrate re-enrichment.
- Construction of a roasting machine No. 5 at LGOK for the production of premium pellets.
- Purchase of equipment as part of the modernization of the mining and transport complex of LGOK.
- Construction of a new tailings dump at LGOK, which will ensure the storage of tailings using modern environmentally efficient technology and a significant reduction in dust emissions.
- At OEMK im. A.A. Ugarov, a set of measures will be implemented to modernize metallization plant No. 3, build an arc steel-making furnace No. 5 and a complex steel processing unit No. 4. This will reduce production costs, reduce the burden on the environment and improve the quality of steel.
The Government of the Belgorod Region will assist Metalloinvest in the implementation of investment projects, including raising funds for construction and reconstruction objects of external energy, transport, engineering and social infrastructure.