With its beneficial physical and operational properties to the consumer, stainless steel is in great demand. Rolled products can be produced both hot and cold. But, regardless of this, buy stainless steel will be the right decision if you need to make a part or a mechanism with high protection against negative operating factors. High humidity, most chemical compounds will not come into contact with stainless steel, ensuring stable characteristics of a metal product.
Feature of stainless steel
To achieve anti-corrosion properties from ordinary iron, various additives are added to the metal. Alloy on a chemical and physical level changes the properties of iron, making it more suitable for use. Most often, chromium, nickel or nitrogen is used as an additive. There are four standard alloy types:
- The most popular austenitic materials in production.
- Martensitic alloys contain nickel and molybdenum.
- Ferritic ones use pure chrome in their composition.
- Ferro-austenitic alloys combine the advantages of two approaches.
Important: the latter alloy, in addition to resistance to negative operating factors, has an additional advantage. He, best of all, copes with all kinds of static and dynamic loads. Therefore, it is used in mechanical engineering.
Scope of use
New industries, in which stainless steel finds a place, appear with enviable regularity. There are so many of them that we can safely say that stainless steel is used in any kind of human activity. But, the most popular are:
- construction, architecture and decorative elements of buildings;
- medical equipment and numerous devices;
- food processing equipment capable of not spoiling raw materials;
- production of paper in constant contact with water;
- chemical and pharmaceutical industry at any scale;
- aviation, car and truck manufacturing;
- agricultural machinery that can withstand the negative factors of nature.
Stainless steel withstands not only the most difficult technical and operational conditions. It retains its original appearance. For some areas, the decorative component is important enough to use stainless steel rolled products in production.