Metalworking involves carrying out such a technological operation for the manufacture of a final part, such as applying an external or internal thread. Metal cutting tools for performing cutting are divided into several categories, as well as groups, and many of the tool models are quite versatile and can be used:
- In machine tools and special equipment (including CNC).
- When performing an operation manually.
Taps (for internal threading) and dies (for external threading) are divided accordingly by diameter and pitch (distance between thread faces, for example, the most common 1.5 or 1.25 mm) of the threaded connection.
Thread mills and combs
The lathe is still the most common equipment for the manufacture of a fairly large segment of parts. Its multifunctional capabilities make it possible to carry out, and quite effectively and with high accuracy, the threading procedure. To perform it, the following types of tools are used:
- Comb cutters - used for external, complex multi-thread threads. Equipped with so-called "relief" teeth with a back angle of 8-12 degrees.
- Disc milling tools - for simpler single-thread threaded connections.
- Tapping head - unlike a classic die, it has the ability to change the pitch and diameter of the thread to be cut.
- Automatic threaded heads equipped with a self-opening mechanism for cutting, for example, internal threads in blind holes and folding when returning to its original position.
For more information on the types and technical capabilities of threading tools, please visit the company's official website https://stm74.ru/, which supplies it to the domestic market directly from well-known manufacturers. In the online catalog of the resource, there is, among other things, a non-standard tool for threading parts of a large or, on the contrary, an especially small diameter. For use in the processing of extremely hard steels or soft, brittle non-ferrous alloys.