Home / News / Ukraine / Onshore section of Nord Stream 2 launched in Germany - Deutsche Welle

Onshore section of Nord Stream 2 launched in Germany - Deutsche Welle

Ukraine / Europe / Business and Finance

The fate of the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline is still in question, but its onshore extension in Germany has already been built and commissioned in April 2021.

Onshore section of Nord Stream 2 launched in Germany - Deutsche Welle

According to the German edition Deutsche Welle , The German Eugal gas pipeline, which provides 80 percent of the capacity of the onshore section of Nord Stream 2, has been put into operation and has begun pumping gas. At the same time, the gas pipeline's capacities have been booked almost 17 years in advance. The remaining 20 percent, in accordance with EU regulations, must be kept freely available by the gas transmission company for short-term reservations.

According to Eugal project manager Ludger Huembs, although the pipeline is connected to Nord Stream 2, it is at the same time integrated into the German and thus European gas transmission system. Therefore, it can be used now, without waiting for the completion of the construction of Nord Stream 2.

Prof. Dr. Franziska Holz, an energy expert at the German Institute for Economic Research, says Eugal is now being used to transport gas coming through Nord Stream 1.

“And this is a good decision, since it allows the first stage of Nord Stream to be used at full capacity. After all, the onshore continuation of Nord Stream 1 - the OPAL pipeline - has not received permission from the regulatory authorities for 100% use by Gazprom. European directives prescribed that OPAL was obliged to reserve part of the transportation capacity for other gas suppliers - and Gazprom is now using this missing capacity at Eugal, ”explains Franziska Holz.

Unlike the American Embassy in Berlin, the expert believes that the launch of Nord Stream 2 is a matter of time. And money. According to her, she is ready to make a bet that the pipeline will be completed. When? That's another question.

According to her, in total, the Russian side will increase the total volume of gas supplies to the European market. At the same time, the expert admits that “this pipeline is intended primarily to reduce supplies through Ukraine.”

МЕТАЛЛУРГПРОМ
Partner news
Сomments
Add a comment
Сomments (0)
To comment
Войти с ВК Войти с ФБ Войти с Яндекс
Sign in with:
Войти с ВК Войти с ФБ Войти с Яндекс