The Ministry of Energy and the State Energy Efficiency Initiative have initiated and prepared two important bills for the further unimpeded implementation of the ESCO mechanism both in budgetary institutions and at the facilities of fuel and power plants and water utilities, in particular:
1) Draft law to remove existing barriers to ESCO purchases at state and municipal property
For this, it is envisaged to bring the Law of Ukraine on Energy Service and the Law of Ukraine "On Public Procurement" into compliance.
As a result, the adoption of the bill will unblock the launch of numerous new projects on thermal modernization of kindergartens, schools, hospitals and other budgetary institutions. Today, thanks to ESCO investments, more than 540 such projects are being implemented with energy savings from 20% to 70%.
2) Bill on the expansion of energy services in the areas of heat supply, centralized drinking water supply, wastewater disposal
It is proposed to ensure a return on investment for ESCO companies through the introduction of accounts with a special mode of use for settlements under energy service contracts.
The adoption of such a bill, according to the State Energy Efficiency of Ukraine, will allow attracting investments in the modernization of such facilities of heat and power plants and water utilities and implement measures without increasing tariffs for the corresponding services of such enterprises.
In general, both bills deserve attention and implementation, since they will allow:
- continue the operation of the ESCO mechanism as an effective tool for investing in energy efficiency of state and municipal property;
- reduce energy consumption at specified facilities;
- reduce utility bills;
- increase the comfort of staying in budgetary institutions;
- ensure the long-awaited modernization of heat and power plants and water utilities.
Now the bills are being coordinated in the Center and are being prepared for consideration by the government of Ukraine.